Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 5

Almost done with the first week of the elimination diet, and I have to say, I'm feeling better (physically) than I have in I don't even know how long. I'm down about 4 pounds total now, but I think the weight loss is sort of coming to an even keel. And don't worry, I'm counteracting it with lots of nuts, dried fruit, and waaaay too many french fries at work (about the only thing I can eat at a British pub). The interesting thing is that with no grains, no meat, no dairy, no eggs, I've sort of fallen off the normal eating pattern band wagon. I'm finding that my body doesn't necessarily want three meals (although it will always demand breakfast) a day. I'm pretty much snacking all day long, which is nice because I never feel really full or really hungry. I've also confirmed what I already knew, but tried to deny to myself - I will always like fruit a million times more than vegetables. I'm sorry vegetables, I know how healthy and magical you are, but you just don't hold a candle to a nectarine. Or berries. Mmm, berries.

However, I am very conscious of my need to get in my greens, which is where a new soup recipe from Vegalicious comes in. It is a godsend. I know it looks gross (and even grosser because of the crappy picture - damn apartment lighting!), but with the garlic and mushrooms giving it a rich, earthy flavor, this stuff is actually AMAZING. I'm eating it pretty much every other day.

Photobucket

Doesn't the steam coming off of it make it look good, though? I'm thinking this will be dinner tonight.

I've tweaked it a bit from the original recipe for a little more flavor, but basically, you just steam a little over a cup of broccoli, just until tender crisp. While it's steaming, sautee mushrooms (ideally at least two kinds - I use white and baby bella) in olive oil with garlic. The recipe calls for one whole clove, but I use three cuz I'm crazy like that. Oh, and it's about an equal amount of mushrooms:broccoli. Don't sautee too long, just get them tender, then whiz it all in the blender with some of the boiling water from the broccoli with lots of pepper and salt. Some nooch would be good too, but I haven't bothered to try it yet. And voila! Delicious soup with tons of veggie power!

By the way....I still want a freaking brownie.

No comments: