Friday, February 29, 2008

There were bells on the hill, but I never heard them ringing...

This line comes to mind as I sit on my couch, craving cake and cookies, and thinking about the photos I should be putting up here. Photos from meals in the past week or so, photos of delicious sandwiches, seitan cutlets with red wine roux and rice pilaf, even mediocre-seeming pastas that I now feel I so took for granted. Let me explain. It won't take long.

After twenty-two years of mysteriously bad health, and nine months of terrible digestive problems (all of the doctors and the dietician decided it must be IBS, because, as a 22 year-old vegan, I just "shouldn't" be experiencing this), I was told at the doctor's yesterday that it just might be celiac disease - try not eating ANY grains for the next 2-3 weeks and see if you feel better. After going home and researching it, I actually feel a bit pissed at the whole medical profession for not having come up with this explanation earlier. The long list of seemingly unrelated symptoms perfectly describe the bizarre health issues I've always had, right down to my lack of tooth enamel (just in case you were curious about my teeth).

So yeah. I would post all my backed up, beautiful, delicious pictures, and I should, but on Day 2 (only Day 2!) of grainlessness, I'm more than a little bitter. Trolling the food blogs is not helping.

I'm going to go eat some potato soup now!

No comments: